google-site-verification: google1a99cbc777ffb68f.html

Day 2 - Aclimating to Dublin

AirCoach Stand

   Arrival in Dublin was at 8 a.m. local time this morning (for those of  you keeping track, that’s 3 a.m. back home.  After a slight delay (there was a medical emergency that required paramedics to take a passenger off the plane) I breezed through immigration, collected my bag (which was coming off the belt as I arrived in baggage claim) and caught the bus to Dublin City Centre (for those of you arriving next week, it’s the AirCoach to Leopardstown - you will get off at Kildare Street.  When you come out of baggage claim so out the doors straight ahead of you and before the garage take the elevator on your left to the ground level.  Turn left out of the elevator and you’ll see the AirCoach stand).  If it hadn’t been for the rush hour traffic, I would probably have been at the hotel a bit after 9.  Very good time!  And the weather today was spectacular…bright sun and temperatures in the 50s and 60s.  What a pleasant surprise.

   The problem with the overnight flights is that your room is never ready when you get to the hotel; typical check in time is 2 p.m.  So after a cup of tea, off I went to the General Register Office for my first set of certificates.  It doesn’t look any better this year than it did last year but since  I was picking these up for a client, and the requests had been completed, it was just a matter of handing them in and waiting for the results.  It’s a game of GRO Roulette…there is not enough information in the index to positively identify your person, so you have to purchase the certificate to get the results.  At least at GRONI they include the mother’s maiden name in the index!  Out of the eight, I had two positive results, two possible results and four wrong certificates.  Back tomorrow for another eight.

IMG 1474

   After the GRO I ran a few errands.  I stopped into the Visitor’s Centre for some brochures and maps. This is an old Anglican church and I discovered that the statue of Molly Malone has been moved from the foot of Grafton Street to the front of the Visitor’s Centre.  There appears to be a great deal of street construction going on in Dublin right now.

   Back at the hotel I got my room, had a few additional meetings and at 5 p.m. laid down on the bed for a few minutes.  I woke up 2 hours later <g>.  I’ve been going since 5 a.m. yesterday morning so I guess it was time to shut down.  Now I’ve got my second wind, so I’ll get a few hours of work done, a good night sleep and be on Dublin time when I wake up tomorrow.   Didn’t bother to unpack since I’m headed to Belfast tomorrow.

© Donna M. Moughty 2007- 2018